Please join us at the Opening Ceremony for the newest addition of Nevada City’s Deer Creek Tribute Trail system: The Nisenan Tribute Site and Angkula Seo Suspension Bridge.
When: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:00am – 12:30pm, Ceremony begins at 11:30am, including ribbon-cutting by California Secretary of Resources John Laird
Where: Nisenan Tribute Site, Appx. 20 min. walking distance from downtown Nevada City
Resources Secretary John Laird will attend the opening ceremony of Nevada City’s newest pedestrian bridge and trail. The trail and bridge are part of a larger trail network called the Deer Creek Tribute Trail, which pays homage to different cultural communities from the region.
“This newest section pays tribute to the Nisenan people of the Nevada City Rancheria, who will be honored at an opening celebration on October 28th,” says Izzy Martin, CEO of The Sierra Fund, which applied for the funding and managed the whole project. Click here to read more about the recently completed trail and bridge.
The Bridge is named Angkula Seo to reflect the traditional name for Deer Creek used by the local Nisenan People, and the surrounding area is called the Nisenan Tribute Site, which includes native plans and rock art that pay tribute to the Nisenan people.
All are welcome at this free opening celebration on Tuesday, October 28, 2014 from 11:00am to 12:30pm. The celebration will include a ceremony by members of the Nevada City Rancheria, presentations from project partners, ribbon-cutting by California Secretary of Resources John Laird, as well as light refreshments. The bridge building company, Seattle Bridge LLC, will also be there to answer questions about how they installed the bridge without ever touching the creek.
The Nisenan Tribute Site, where the ceremony will take place, is approximately 20 minutes walking distance from downtown Nevada City. Parking will not be available for the celebration, so follow the walking instructions below.
Download the Opening Ceremony Invitation
- Starting at the Miners Foundry in downtown Nevada City (325 Spring Street), walk on Bridge Street along the west side of the Miners Foundry and then turn right on Factory Street.
- Walk west on narrow, winding Factory Street, which becomes Wyoming Street, and then continue left onto Old Downieville Highway.
- After walking approximately two thirds of a mile from the Miners Foundry, bear left on Champion Mine Road.
- Shortly after turning on Champion Mine Road, signs with the Tribute Trail logo will direct you to a dirt single-track trail on the left.
- Follow the trail down the switchbacks and you will arrive at the ceremony site.
This project was led by The Sierra Fund, and made possible by the collaboration and hard work of the Foothill Nisenan of the Nevada City Rancheria, City of Nevada City, Forest Trails Alliance, American Rivers, and Sierra Streams Institute, and funding from the California Resources Agency River Parkways Program and the CalTrans Environmental Enhancement and Mitigation Program.
For more information on the Opening Ceremony, contact Amber Taxiera at (530) 265-8454 x 216.