The Sierra Fund is calling for students to enter posters for an exhibit and competition that will be part of our upcoming conference “Reclaiming the Sierra: Gold Country Community Summit on Mining Impacts” to be held November 8 & 9, 2010 in Nevada City, California.
Posters are sought that address topics such as:
- Legacy mining toxins including arsenic, lead, asbestos and mercury
- Mining impacts on water quality, ecosystems, wildlife and habitat
- Research on remediation technologies for various mining problems
- Fate and Transport of mining toxins in the environment
- Green Mining
- Incentives for voluntary cleanup
- Impacts of legacy mining on human health
Posters will be judged at the event and the following “People’s Choice” awards given:
First Prize: $250
Second Prize: $100
Third Prize: $75
Poster abstracts are due to The Sierra Fund by September 30, 2010.
Once selected, final posters must be submitted by October 15, 2010.
Click here for a flyer to post or hand out.
Questions? Contact Science Director Carrie Monohan: (530) 265-8454×14, firstname.lastname@example.org, and visit The Sierra Fund’s website (www.sierrafund.org/MiningSummit) for specific details including abstract guidelines, poster dimensions, layout requirements, and submission procedure.